Thursday, October 31, 2013

Guitars and the Politics

So the three biggest "guitar-making-giants": Martin, Taylor, and Gibson are in the middle of a contreversy about the eradication of the forest of Alaska. The old-growth Sitka spruce are being cut down, for the rich tone it produces for the guitar. A Greenpeace representative is mediating the dispute saying that the guitar companies are allies in hi campaign to slow deforestation. Though this article is far from the topic of film, I feel that people should be aware. Music and sound play a very important part of making movies. Activist are making protest about the cutting of trees without the proper knowledge that most of the Earths oxygen comes from the ocean. Many instruments are made of wood like: pianos, guitars, flutes, chellos, violins, drums, etc. If these instruments are made scarce then many future music writers will be at a disatvantage. The composer who might be the hero who makes my movie a succes might not even show up because a guitar or a piano was not available to him due to activist protecting the forest. I feel like the more musical instruments out there the more musicians will be inspired to progress in there art, as I as an aspiring filmmaker progress in mine. As a student in the film arts I think that having the right equipment is essential in building experience in this art form. And musician should be allowed musical instruments so that they too may gain experience, so that in the future I can feature them in one of my movies. Would musicians be able to becomes geniuses without the use of guitars?

No comments:

Post a Comment