Friday, September 13, 2013

How? & Why! Netflix

Netflix, the turtle that beat Blockbuster rabbit is reaching an all time high in terms of stocks and its income. It is steadily growing in to a larger and larger company with no intention of stopping. Just a decade ago Wallstreet labeled Netflix, "a worthless piece of crap" (excuse the language) when Blockbuster was still on the scene and claiming all the sales. The company Netflix was founded in 1997 and it didn't stand a chance against the other companies who were already out there. It is mentioned that Netflix wasn't worth much when it started. In the article How Netflix Beat Blockbuster it states,"...its prospects of surviving battles against Blockbuster, Wal-Mart, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and other competitors looked so poor..." But Netflix didn't care because the battles that they needed to win wasn't in the present but it was in the future.

Netflix saw that the digital age was just around the corner and focused its resourses in online streaming. People eventually got tired of the the $5 late fees that the other movie rentals charged. Netflix provided a solution to that. They charged monthly with no late fees instead of charging the individual movies themselves. When YouTube skyrocketed in 2006 people started to look online for new sources of acquiring film entertainment. Netflix had a boosted start in the field and eventually left Blockbuster behind.

Now Netflix is doing extremely well for itself. Eriq Gardner states in his article that Netflix has more that 30 million subscribers and more than a billion dollars in quarterly revenue; "this year alone, Netflix's stock is up more than 219 percent." Netflix is probably looking at Wallstreet giving it the finger for calling its stock trash. Netflix is obviously going to be really big in the future and it is sure to affect the film industry. Hundreds if not thousands of media is available on Netflix right now. And as Netflix grows the more movies, new and old, will be available on its simple easy to use system. As a consumer I can't feel grateful that Netflix has made it this far. I am subscribed to Netflix and it feels like an all you can eat restaurant. I can watch all the movies I want in a month and I only need to pay once. As a future  filmmaker I think that Netflix will have a severe interference with the industry. I see it heading in a direction in which when the movie airs on the theatres it would also air on Netflix. I'm not entirely sure if this will actually happen, but this is one of the questions I have about the affects of Netflix in the film industry.



No comments:

Post a Comment